As the oldest hotel in the city with a priveleged position banking on the River Limmat (which, with 5 nostalgic open-air pools on its banks, continues the 19th century tradition of bathing), the topic of sustainability is of great importance to us.
When we tell our guests that they can swim in the Limmat and that the water is of drinking quality, they are often amazed. Standing on our own Storchen Pier, our guests can imagine being in Venice - except that the water in Zürich is crystal clear.
Already in the 14th century the wine and vegetable merchants frequented the Storchen after they had finished their business on the nearby Gemüsebrücke (Vegetable Bridge).
We are proud of the fact that our traditional establishment is able to unite Zürich's Savoir-Vivre with sustainability. Our close co-operation with local farmers and fishermen and our regional cuisine are just a couple of examples of our extraordinary environmental management, confirmed in the establishment being certified to ISO 14001 standard, and which every guest in our hotel should sense.
Here only the very best is done to ensure that our special place stays as nice as it is for the next 650 years.Sustainability Report (PDF)
Here is a short list of measures that the Storchen Zürich has implemented for some time now:
- Sensitizing/regular training of our Storchen staff in regard to sustainability.
- Regional products are used whenever possible in our restaurants.
- Environmental friendly cleaning agents are used in the whole of the hotel.
- All bed linen and towels in our rooms are changed only on demand.
- 100% recycled printer paper is used and much of our data is only electronically stored.
- Our rubbish is strictly separated and is disposed of in an environmental friendly way.
- Thanks to the Bio-Transsystems in the kitchen, environmental friendly energy is produced from catering waste.
- Our lamps are being replaced by LED lighting.
- Every renovation and renewal in the house is in accordance with Minergie guidelines.
The Living Circle – is a hand-picked group of first-class hotels and restaurants in incomparably beautiful locations, run by dedicated hosts. Rice, vegetables, fruit, and a whole array of exquisite produce – including wine, of course – is whisked fresh from our own farms directly to your table. That is how we define luxury. That is The Living Circle – luxury hotels fed by nature.Discover The Living Circle website